Monday, July 12, 2010

I just needed to Breathe



T




Today I had some challenging moments as a mother. Lottie has not been feeling well for a few days. She had a fever Friday and Sat with a runny nose and hardly any appetite. Sunday the fever was gone, but still a yucky nose and no appetite. I know that this is nothing to be alarmed about, but today she was just inconsolable!
She would throw herself on the ground and scream. I knew she was not feeling well and wondered if her throat was hurting since her little voice was really hoarse and she had a cough this morning. I tried giving her many things, singing, playing, offering different drinks and snacks. I finally just left her on the ground to work it out for a few mins (all the while she is still MADLY pulling out fist fulls of hair) and went to the other room to breathe!! This honestly was the first time I had encountered a heavy feeling of inadequacy as a mother. What can I do??? Am I really going to be able to help her figure out her feelings and work through them? I know there must be more ahead of me, but as for today I was nearly in tears not knowing what to do! a little later I remembered this wonderful video I saw last week.
Read whole talk here.

3 comments:

CollyWolly said...

We've all been there. One other important thing to remember is that sometimes the best thing to do is to walk away. It's okay for kids to work things out on their own (even at a very young age).

Sounds maybe like an ear ache?

Good luck, and yes, breathe.

Bekah said...

Oh Rach! I was there all last week, yesterday was the first he actually smiled and started to act like his normal happy self! That video was really what got me through the many frustrations and even tears. Thanks for sharing it again, I love having the reminder that I am doing the Lords work. It really helps put it into perspective. Hope lottie gets feeling better and we cant wait to see her in a couple of weeks!

Mommy Madness said...

Hang in there! I LOVE that video... I laughed, cried, and had goosebumps the entire time I watched. Now I'm going to go snuggle my baby.